Things Fall Apart

a history of ideas - mainly my ideas

Monday, February 4, 2013

65 Years Ago Today

Hoisting the Lion Flag at Independence Square in 1948 

65 years ago, today, hands were shaken, the ink dried on the paper and one flag fell as another was raised. Proud smiles, excited smiles, smiles of relief for some - this was not going to be another nightmare of partition, countless lives wouldn't end dramatically as one country became two. No, that was for another time, another age. And the men of 65 years ago could not foresee the future. Lucky them. They got to make the decisions. We got to suffer the consequences. The fate of millions decided by a few men, as always.

 'Ceylon' - 'free'?

Yes. At last! Her people no longer colonized. No longer othered. No longer demeaned? After 400 years she believes that she is free. 

65 years later Ceylon is no more. She has evolved. She has grown. She has scars - she can show you. Some say she is more beautiful than ever, paradise regained - paradise found. Others say - she is in ruins. She has failed the expectations of 65 years ago.

Sri Lanka, full of new roads and highways, hotels and ports. "Every verdant village" and "every palmy coast", milked for all it is worth. Her people have betrayed her. They look alike but are mostly divided. They speak of justice but practice injustice. All that is right has become wrong. The wise have made way for the mad. 

Sri Lanka robbed, pillaged and plundered. This was not what they envisioned 65 years ago.

65 years ago, Independence was celebrated but today, 65 years later, her people are still in chains. 


5 comments:

  1. Well said Deb.

    The mistake most people make is they look back at only the triumphs (seeing some as triumphs are certainly stretches), and ignore the mistakes and errors that must be seen and fixed.

    I'm not one for pomp and glory and symbolic celebrations, but I think days like this should be used to reflect more on what has not been done yet, and what should be done, more than concentrating only on what has been achieved.

    Ignoring negativities doesn't make them disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chin. I was trying to capture how I felt about Independence Day today. Couldn't really feel euphoric (under the present circumstances) and I didn't want to inject a false sense of optimism. I think a bit more reflection from all of us could probably translate into some form of change. But sometimes to even sit and think is painfully frustrating so I think for now people like to turn a blind eye and act as if 'everything will be all right in the end'.

      Delete
  2. I love it! Luckily people like you exist to help draw the balance we so lack... I wish the visionfor this country was far more more deeper and greater because we could be such a great nation... Come see me and helpme remember what it was like to be 'independent'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems SO true to me, even though I grew up in California (was born in SL and came to the U.S. at age 8)! It's saddening. But I still miss Sri Lanka a lot and often wish I could live there instead of here ... nothing like home, I guess!

    I came across your blog via a search for the vintage Ceylon posters exhibit. I really enjoy reading what you have to say! I have a blog about home decor, trying to blend mid-century and Sri Lankan styles -- http://midceylontury.blogspot.com/

    I also listed your blog on my favorites list -- hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this blog Anusha and thank you for the feedback. I have come to realize that there are two Sri Lankas, one which is an ideal tourist destination and the other which is a bit of nightmare to survive in. Neither are mutually exclusive. Trying to reconcile/reflect on the 2 Sri Lankas in an upcoming blog-post.

      In the process of checking out your blog as I write this.

      Delete

Feedjit